A security system is designed to do just one thing, and that is to protect your home along with everything on your property. This includes valuables as well as family members. This task is accomplished by securing the entry points in your home, like doors and windows.
The complexity of any security system is based on the particular needs of the customer. The system may be as simple as an alarm that sounds when a door is opened, or it could include a combination of surveillance cameras, electronic sensors on doors and windows, motion detectors, and smoke or carbon monoxide alarms.
Typical Home Security Systems
There are several components to any home security system, and these work together to secure your home, notify authorities when the system is breached, and sound an alarm to hopefully scare away any intruders. Here are the elements of a typical home security system:
- Control Panel-this is used to arm or disarm your entire system or parts of it. Typically, it has a touchpad where the homeowner can program and monitor the system.
- Door and Window Sensors-these sensors usually consist of two parts that are joined together when a door or window is closed. If the door or window is opened, the sensors send a signal to the control panel and will sound an alarm. In addition to doors and windows, these sensors could be set up on interior doors or cabinets where valuables are kept.
- Motion Sensors-these sensors are set up to detect motion in a room. In most cases, they are used in areas where valuables may be stored or in areas of a large home that are not frequently used.
- Surveillance Cameras-these cameras can be set up just about anywhere and can be wired or wireless. They allow the homeowner to see any activity in the vicinity of the cameras, and these cameras can be accessed by computers, tablets, or smartphones.
- Alarms-an important component of a home security system is the alarm. It’s designed to alert the occupants of the home as well as the neighbors and to scare off potential burglars.
- Yard Signs and Window Stickers-by By displaying these items, a homeowner is letting any potential burglars know that your home is protected and that they should take their nefarious intentions elsewhere.
- Central Station Monitoring-many home security systems are professionally monitored 24 hours a day. If a breach of the system occurs, the monitoring service can access the surveillance cameras to see if an intruder is present, and they can notify law enforcement.
If you’re considering adding a home security system or improving the one you already have in place, you can turn to the professionals at Accurate Security. For over 50 years we have helped homes and businesses throughout British Columbia remain safe and secure. Your safety, as well as the safety of your family or employees, is our top priority. No matter your security needs, our team will provide competitive prices and premier security solutions you can trust.