The First Point of Entry
When a criminal wants to break into your home, what’s the first place to try? It’s the front door, right? Your front door, along with your ground floor windows, is the most vulnerable point of entry. That’s why front door security is so important! Let’s look at some of the ways you can make sure your front door is secure.
Consider Upgrading Your Door
Especially if you have an older door, it may not be strong enough to stand up to a determined criminal. One good kick or shove, and an old wooden door is likely to break. Look for a new door, look for a solid-core door, whether it’s made of wood, steel, or fiberglass with a wood core. Steel security doors are the strongest, but solid wood and solid core fiberglass are just about as strong. Make sure to measure carefully, and have your door properly installed, so that it will stand up to an intruder. If you’re not ready to replace the whole door, you may need to replace your door frame and hinges, to reinforce your door security.
Make Your Existing Door Safer
Look at your door with a critical eye. Do you need to upgrade the glass to make it more secure? Double glazed or tempered glass are much more difficult to break than a single pane. Could it use a new strike plate? A strike plate keeps your door secure by protecting the door jamb against friction and preventing the door from being opened from the outside. If your strike plate is old and ineffective, upgrading to a heavy-duty strike plate will make your door much more secure. You might also consider putting in a peephole or door chain, so that you can see who is at the door without opening it. Here are some great
Rethink Your Lock
Your door lock is the most important security feature of your front door. If your door lock is old and outdated, it may be time for an upgrade to one of the more secure locks currently available. Here are some great options:
- Multi-point locking system: This kind of system has three locking points and sits inside the door, so that tampering with it is difficult. Multi-point locking systems are considered one of the most secure types of locks, because the more points that must be manipulated to break into your home, the less likely the criminal will be to succeed.
- Deadbolt lock: Deadbolt locks are tried and true, featuring a metal bar that slides into place and keeps the door shut.
- Smart lock: Using a smart lock, a homeowner can lock the door remotely or program the lock to automatically lock when people leave the house.
- Double cylinder lock: Keyed on both sides, these doors must be unlocked using a key, whether the homeowner is inside or outside. This provides an additional layer of security.
- Keyless entry: Why not ditch the key altogether and choose a keyless lock? There are different types of keyless entry systems, and while some of this type of electronic door lock work with a keycard, many of them simply require a code on a keypad, or connection to a smart phone. Some keyless entry systems even feature a biometric lock that recognizes a person’s fingerprints, facial features, iris, or voice. Most of these have a keypad backup, though, so that you can still allow access to guests or anyone else you want to let into your house.
Make Sure the Area is Well-Lit
One of the simplest ways to deter thieves from trying your front door is to install adequate security lights. A well-lit area is less likely to be approached, because criminals prefer to hide in darkness. Motion-sensor security locks are a great option because they flood the area with light when someone approaches.
Keep Your Door Secure
The best security systems in the world can’t protect you if you don’t lock your door at night. Leaving your door unlocked gives criminals easy access, so always remember to keep it locked. One of the benefits of keyless entry systems is that some of them remind you to lock the door.
Install a Home Security System
A security system helps you catch someone who has broken into your home, but it can also deter someone from breaking in in the first place. When a home has obvious indicators of a security system, it’s less likely to be targeted by burglars. Today, you have several options for home security, from doorbell cameras to professional monitoring and everything in between. Talk to a security company about the best system for your home.
Trust Accurate Security for Safe and Secure Locks
Since 1968, Accurate Security has served homes and businesses in the Lower Mainland, and we’re the Greater Vancouver area’s premier choice for safety and security. One of the few family businesses left in the industry, Accurate Security was founded by Mark Oljaca and is now led by his son, Tony Oljaca. From our beginnings as a single locksmith store, we have expanded to seven different locations, offering a wide range of product and services beyond and including locksmithing. Our nearly 70 employees have vast knowledge and expertise, and we are committed to the safety and security of our customers. Providing a complete range of safety and security systems, various products, and state of the art services, we provide prompt and professional services that ensure you never have to feel unsafe in your home or workplace again. For a free security screening or to learn more about all we have to offer, get in touch with our seasoned team by calling 604.777.3888 or contacting us through our website.